Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Celebrity news

When I got on CNN.com this morning, Sept. 24, I saw that one of the top stories was about Clay Aiken coming out of the closet. But the story wasn't just about him coming out of the closet, it was about Aiken coming out of the closet in People magazine. Although it was a small article, about 160 words, I couldn't believe it was on the CNN Web site, let alone one of the top 10 stories (it was number nine). Is this really news? I feel like there are more important things going on in the world.

I would have understood if the reporter did a profile of him. He did just become a father, and I think a lot of readers would be interested to see how everything goes raising a child not only as a celebrity, but as a gay celebrity. Does he still plan on singing and recording or is he going to step out of the limelight to raise his child? Is the child the reason he decided to come out of the closet? I think the reporter could definitely have done a lot more with the story.

3 comments:

Trisha said...

I wonder if this will affect his fan base in any way...

Meghan said...

Psh, it's news for me!
Just kidding, but I can understand why it is such a popular story. Both the media and many people have been speculating for years that Aiken is gay. The fact that he finally came out and admitted that is considered a break through. I don't think it should get that much attention, but I know I'll be picking up a copy of that People.

Abetcha said...

We talked in class about this. I remember seeing this as a major headline in one of the online newspapers. I said it might have been the NYTimes.com, but let's not rely on my shady memory. Anyways, I guess the angle of the story was that he had a kid before he actually came out. Newsworthy, but up to CNN's standards? That I'm not too sure of.