Saturday, November 15, 2008

'Highlight' of CNN's Web site

CNN has a lot of convenient and interesting features on its Web site, but one feature that I always forget about is "story highlights." For every story on its site, CNN writes a few bullet points giving the most important information in the story. I always forget about this feature until I'm finished reading an article, but I think it's a great feature.

Readers can learn a quick synopsis of a story without having to read the entire thing. I think this is a good option for people that don't have time to read an entire article. I know a lot of times I see a headline and want to read a story, but at that moment, I don't have the time to read the article. By the time I get a chance to read more in depth, I've forgotten which articles I want to read.

I think this feature is also good for people that like to jump around on Web sites. "Story highlights" gives them the important information they need to know without forcing them to read a 500 word article. Obviously, CNN probably prefers them to read the 500 word story, but maybe people would be more willing to come to their site if they know they can quickly and easily get information.

Because I tend to forget about this feature, I think CNN could make the title "story highlights" bolder or larger to make the readers eyes go to that feature. But overall, I think it's a great thing to have and one that not a lot of Web sites do, at least, not that I've noticed.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I love this feature. I admit I get lazy and don't always like to read the entire story. (This tool can be especially helpful for current event quizes!) It's nice to have the important qualities pointed out for us, so you don't have to read 500 stories a day to be an informed person.