Friday, November 28, 2008

Extreme shopping

As I was checking my blog, I happened to look at the Google News gadget on my screen.  One of the stories for U.S. news was "Wal-mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down." I couldn't believe it. I have always heard about the intense shoppers that come out for the day-after-Thanksgiving shopping, but I never imagined it to go that far. 

I didn't have a particular reason for including this story on my blog. I just thought it was a well-written article that grabbed my attention. The story itself was interesting, and it didn't have any major holes in it. It's refreshing to see a news story that is simple yet intriguing. The reporter didn't have to go digging for a scandal, and the copy editor didn't have to write an amazing headline to grab my attention.  Don't get me wrong, the story itself is very sad. I was shocked to read that no one stopped to help the worker up. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I heard about this story too! Incredible! I can't imagine being trampled by holiday shoppers! I thought we were experiencing an economic crisis, doesn't this mean that people aren't shopping! lol

Sue Kantor said...

I saw that story on Friday, too. I thought it was really sad, and I had trouble imagining how people could trample someone without realizing it. I think this story is a good candidate for the second-day story about how this happened. What happens next for the store and its managers? How do the people in that crowd feel after the smoke clears? It's an editors job to realize how to use unanswered questions to branch off into other stories.

Elyse said...

Wow I heard that too and honestly thought of how ridiculous people are. Save a couple of bucks on some yard tools or electronics, run over a man and kill him. People should honestly be ashamed of themselves. Although I would have to wonder if the man who was trampled would have done exactly the same thing as all the other crazed shoppers. I agree with Susan too. As a store manager, how do you feel about the situation? Is there some sort of law suit that can be filed? It seems like someone should be to blame. Damn black Friday.

Colleen said...

I read this story as well, and I read it as part of a news feed on yahoo. I think that news feeds are great ways for news organizations to attract readers. If they are put on huge Web sites and search engines, millions of people will see them, and I can guarantee that most people will be interested in at least one story. These people wouldn't necessarily see the story without the news feed, and wouldn't know to actively seek it out, unless they were already on a news site, like CNN. If more news organizations could utilize this somehow, they would attract so many more readers.

Marguerite Day said...

Sue I think you make a good point. As a reader, I would be interested to see what happens next. What did they do the next day? Did sales drop at the store on Saturday? Are they going to put in new policies for next year? I think there is a lot left to tell that readers would be interested in, and it is our job as editors to see that.

Eric Heisig said...

The headline is good, in my view. It has all the words that can be easily searched on the Internet, and it does not make light of a bad situation nor is it too dramatic. It's just right.

I had heard about this story, and it made me sad to hear it. It's not worth it I guess, but it was a well-written article that got the point across.

Still a shame though.